I am aware that on some level this blog should help prospective and new Plan II students; it should describe the Plan II experience so that people don’t show up to the first week of college and completely freak out because they had no idea what it would be like. And so, I feel obligated to talk about the Honors Quad, but there is a small yet important problem with that: I never lived there. I never even saw an Honors Quad room, because I never wanted to. Look, I just do not care about the Honors Quad. But despite this deep-seated apathy, I have managed to understand some things about the Honors Quad and life there, so I have written this list of things to help new Plan II students out.
1. Quadders do not care what you think of them. They assure themselves that they are the best people ever, and they don’t associate with anyone who would object to their obscene self-worship.
2. They have weird parties.
3. Some crazy bullshit goes on in those dorms.
4. Everyone has seen Fight Club, and they all think it is super deep and relevant to life, and they make references to it all the time. Annoying.
5. There is something called the Blobby. I don’t know what it is or what goes on in there, but I imagine it is something like this:
6. They always have nutritious, well-rounded meals.
7. There are pianos everywhere.
8. They think the quad is the center of campus. They will force everyone to meet there for events, because “it’s close.”
9. They eat at Kerby Lane every single day.
10. They play ultimate frisbee every single day.
11. This is them.
12. And this is me. I am including this for perspective.
If you would like some actually useful information about the Honors Quad, you can go to the UT Housing website, or check out some videos on YouTube. This one has a pretty decent overview of what the Honors Quad looks like and the services it provides for residents. This one is a tour of the honors quad made by the old Undecided team. And this one is a mockumentary about frisbee in the honors quad. DISCLAIMER: I haven’t actually watched any of these. I just clicked through them with the sound muted to make sure the videos still worked. So they are probably boring, but I don’t know because I ain’t got the time or motivation to find out.